I have been a fan of John Maxwell and his teachings since my infancy in the arena of business development and leadership. A few pointers about decision making that immensly impacted me in his teaching are:
1. There are only a handful of important decisions that people need to make in their entire lifetimes. These are not too many.
2.Successful people make the right decisions in those key areas early and manage those decisions on daily basis.
3. The secret of our success is determined by our daily agenda. If you make a few key decisions and then manage them well in your daily agenda, you will succeed.
In his book Today Matters, he says, "You will never change your life until you change something you do daily. You see, success, doesn’t just suddenly occur one day in someone’s life. For that matter, neither does failure. Each is a process. Every day of your life is merely preparation for the next. What you become is the result of what you do today."
Here are the twelve areas where I make decisions and then manage them on a day-to-day basis:
- Attitude: Today’s attitude gives me possibilities.
- Priorities: Today’s priorities give me focus.
- Health: Today’s health gives me strength.
- Family: Today’s family time gives me stability.
- Thinking: Today’s thinking gives me an advantage.
- Commitment: Today’s commitment gives me tenacity.
- Finances: Today’s financial decisions give me options.
- Faith: Today’s faith gives me peace.
- Relationships: Today’s relationships give me fulfillment.
- Generosity: Today’s generosity gives me significance.
- Values: Today’s values give me direction.
- Growth: Today’s growth gives me potential.
Your Turn Now
How do you define a good day for you ? Do you plan your day? Do you think getting a copy of the book might be a great idea? You can leave your comments now.